hit it til it breaks

frustrated and in a rage after the last election, I decided that rather than leaving the country or refusing to speak to my Southern family, I was going to talk until their ears turned blue. I gathered up every family email address I could find, and I sent them a nice introductory letter and proceeded to bombard them almost daily with all manner of progressive/liberal/informative articles/cartoons/columns/whatever. This is the poorly updated archive of my exchanges with them.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Howdy folks

Hey guys,

this is everyone's favorite son/brother/nephew/cousin/etc. D-. I am not the best at keeping in touch, but I read everything sent my way and try my best to keep up with what is going on in folks lives and such as best I can through Mom and Dad.

I don't know if all of you know what is going on in my life now, but for those not in the know, I am still living in NYC, working [somewhere]. I have been up here for a couple of years and will be here for a little while longer, although I don't plan on staying in the city long term.

Anyway, if you have ventured into discussing politics with me anytime over the last few years, you probably already know that I am pretty horrified by what is going on in the country these days. Living in New York has made it a little easier (even with the stupid ways the city handled the protests; ask C- about that), but as much as I like living in the city, I am from the South and far away as I may go, I am always going to end up back there (a position which I have reconsidered several times over the last few years, but I was never one to be run off too easily, so you are stuck with me).

I promised Aunt G- that I wouldn't move to Canada after the election, so I have stayed to fight. I have no great delusions of granduer (well some, but they have nothing to do with the subject at hand) and know that not everyone will agree with me or like many (most) things I have to say, but that has never stopped me before and this is much more important. I don't expect to necessarily change anyone's mind, but I figure I should start trying to reach who I can and share what I am seeing and see if any of it reasonates with them. I don't know politically where most of you stand and make no assumptions that anyone on this list is boarish or dumb or uninformed. I just know that the region where I am from voted in such a way that I am ashamed and saddened and no longer feel comfortable there and I have to try to do something and I had to start somewhere and I decided upon my family.

I hope all of you will take some time to read some of the stuff I forward to you. I don't expect everyone to read all of it or agree with it, but...oh well, I'll shut up now and start this whole mess. I won't write everyday, but I will try to forward articles and essays along as often as I can. Since this is long, I will send my first forward in a different message.

love you all,



D-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home