hit it til it breaks

frustrated and in a rage after the last election, I decided that rather than leaving the country or refusing to speak to my Southern family, I was going to talk until their ears turned blue. I gathered up every family email address I could find, and I sent them a nice introductory letter and proceeded to bombard them almost daily with all manner of progressive/liberal/informative articles/cartoons/columns/whatever. This is the poorly updated archive of my exchanges with them.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Re: ABOUT DO NOTHING CLINTON!

Here is my response:


To anyone who cares to forward stuff on this list, I have a couple of requests. One, only include forwards to the people on it you know. I am fairly certain that not everyone on this list is well aquainted and no one likes getting emails from people they don't recognize. And if you expect people to read things which you write, use a reasonable font (12 or 14), do not write in all caps (it is rude, it is like yelling at people) and use a neutral color (preferably black; if you want to advertise your sports affiliations, do it on a t-shirt).

Two, if you are going to send some inflamatory crap that repeated mentions 'truth' or 'facts', double check it and check it against unbiased sources. Not liking someone is no reason to slander them.

And when talking about politicians, I personally am concerned with how they do their job not whether or not they are nice or would be fun to have over for a cook-out. They aren't coming over for my next party, but how they vote on tax or environmental legislation is going to effect my life. And the next time someone cares to bring up Monica Lewinsky and deride Clinton about it, I will take this as an indication that you will no longer talk glowingly of rudy guilliani (who moved his mistress into the mayor's mansion and chose a press conference as the way to tell his wife he was seeking a divorce) or newt gingrich (who was having an affair while leading the witch hunt over Clinton's infidelity and who asked his first wife to sign divorce papers while she was in recovery from surgery for her cancer) or any number of other republican 'family values' types who have no place criticizing anyone's fidelity or lack there of.

Clinton wasn't perfect and there were plenty of things that I disagreed with that he did. Dad and I have been discussing CAFTA (which just passed) and I thought it was just as odious as NAFTA (which Clinton passed). And he has spoken publicly about the insufficiency of his response to genocide in Africa, which galled and horrified me then the same as the genocide going on in Sudan is horrifying me right now. But Clinton worked with congress to bring the deficit down (which they did) and to balance the buget and worked effectively with international leaders. It was easy to find a job when he was in office and you could afford to fill up your gas tank and you could travel safely most places in the world. Those are the kinds of things by which I judge a president or a congressperson.

as to the specific charges in the crud uncle g- sent, lets do a run through, but first a few comments on some things in the forward and in other forwards that I take personally:

"True Americans must do everything in their power to make sure that no one like
Bill Clinton ever becomes President. We must be vigilant so that no God-hating, UN-
loving, liberal coward ever again disgraces the office of the Presidency and this nation."

When you suggest that liberals aren't 'True Americans' and 'God-hating' and cowards, you are saying it about me and it pisses me off. It is personal and rude and for whatever kind of coward you may think other liberals are, this one has had enough and you better be ready for an earful in none too nice terms if anyone cares to call me names again.

who knows, I might get just angry enough to write in all caps.

: )

(this article can be seen in its original form at: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/clinton.htm)

Claim: The Clinton administration failed to track down the perpetrators of several terrorist attacks against Americans.
Status: False.

[I sent the entire Snopes page in my response but I will let you nice folks click through to it yourself rather than republish it here. Go read it.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home