hit it til it breaks

frustrated and in a rage after the last election, I decided that rather than leaving the country or refusing to speak to my Southern family, I was going to talk until their ears turned blue. I gathered up every family email address I could find, and I sent them a nice introductory letter and proceeded to bombard them almost daily with all manner of progressive/liberal/informative articles/cartoons/columns/whatever. This is the poorly updated archive of my exchanges with them.

Friday, August 12, 2005

A break in the clouds...

I was happy that uncle G- had sent something nice and was being somewhat concilliatory instead of getting angry or calling me crazy, but I wasn't prepared for this. It isn't bad, but I think it says something about what happens when you engage people in dialogue even when you disagree. If you start poking and annoying people, at the very least it shows them you are thinking and concerned and suddenly someone from the furthest opposite side of the politcal spectrum is asking for your opinion about taxes! I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the disagrements, but I've got to say that this was totally unexpected and very welcome. Wow!

Now I have to bone up on tax legislation...

(begin letter)


"Dear G-,

The typical investor gives up fifty (50%) percent of their income to taxes, while wealthy (people like Ross Perot and Bill Gates) pay only single digits-reportedly as low as 4% to 5%."

THANKS D- FOR YOU EMAIL !!!!.WILL SEND YOUR LOVE TO ____ FOR YOU......

I GET ALL OF THIS TAX JUNK IN MY MAIL......I JUST COPPIED AND PASTED THE FIRST FEW LINES OF IT... THE REST OF IT... WAS TRYING TO SELL YOU A COURSE......ON HOW TO SAVE TAXES...

GOING TO ASK YOU... WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE TAXES ??

FOR SOME REASON.... I HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT YET.... MY COMPTER IS SKIPPING A LINE......LOL !!!

NOW BACK TO THE QUESTION ??? I THINK I AM IN FAVOR OF A FLAT TAX FOR EVERYBODY........THERE IS PROS AND CONS ON BOTH SIDE.......DANIEL... WHICH IS FAIR ???... I DON'T KNOW !!

MAYBE YOU HAVE THOUGHT THIS OVER MORE THAN I HAVE !!!!

REALLY... I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ?????

THANKS

G-

[snip]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home